Meal Planning Software – Why is it essential for Dietitians and Nutritionists?
Watching an interview a few months back where the interviewer asked a dietitian if she used any tool to plan meals for her patients. The answer surprised the interviewer as the dietitian only used pen and paper to plan meals for her patients. When asked why she was not using a meal planning software, she stated that she had not explored any other solutions and had no idea about a meal planning software’s benefits.
Before we go further, let’s discuss some basics about meal planning software.
What is a meal planning software?
A meal planning software is an app (mobile, web or desktop) which helps a person create meal plans. It provides nutritional facts about the foods which are included in the plan. It automates the calculations of nutrient totals like calorie, fat, protein, carbs, lipid, vitamins, minerals, etc.
How meal planning software benefits dietitians and nutritionists?
Dietitians and Nutritionists may benefit by using a meal planning software for a variety of reasons.
- Get more time with patients instead of spending time on repetitive tasks.
- Communicate efficiently with patients.
- Share nutritional plans, diet and fitness plans with patients.
- Collect results and feedback from patients.
Meal planning software is great for inpatient or outpatient facilities. It enables users to adjust diets, monitor exercise, manage nutrient assessment, and more for an unlimited number of clients. This software will also enable users to monitor nutrient intake, see how their patients consume using diet recalls or FFQ, provide menus, and use the reports for nutrition education.
What to consider when searching for a meal planning software?
In searching for a meal planning software program online or may be asking colleagues for a reference. One should keep the following points in mind.
- Product history and longevity.
- Accessibility of the team in case you have questions.
- Recipe analysis and building functionality.
- Patient data management and privacy.
- Automated calculations.
- Nutrition database as per guidelines.
- Technical/Customer support and cost.
Some features like automated calculations, food database, nutritional and dietary assessment, meal plan customization and creation, and device compliance do actually matter. So, keep these features in mind when selecting a meal planning software.
How does a meal planning software help a dietitian?
Many dietitians have reported that using an interactive meal planning software like Nutritionist Pro™ has helped them stay more organized, achieve better results with clients and easily track their progress. All the more, these tools reduce the workload and time wasted on performing repetitive tasks.
View benefits of Nutritionist Pro™
- Analyze unlimited recipes.
- Modify and adjust recipes.
- Scale recipes for production.
- Extensive nutrient database.
- Client management capabilities.
- Built-in calculators for automated calculations.
- Quick search and preview of nutrition facts.
- Recipe analysis and menu creation.
- Menu plan customization option using pre-loaded plans.
- Compare menus against goals.
Consider the above points as you navigate the market to find your perfect tool. Try setting up an appointment with the team to see how the application works and how it can help you in your business.
How does Nutritionist Pro™ work? Download a Demo today!